Thursday, July 28, 2005

ABA/Nashville Roadtrip/Anniversary

Today I head to Little Rock with the UCA Steel Drum Combo to perform at the ABA convention. Tomorrow I head back down to do a clinic. My friend Andy Harnsberger will be in town tomorrow night playing with the Jack Daniels Silver Cornet Band. I'm looking forward to hanging out with him after the show.

This weekend Liana and I head out to Nashville to see James Taylor. We are excited not only to see James Taylor, but also Steve Gadd. The first time I remember hearing Steve Gadd was on AM radio in my Dad's old Plymouth. I didn't know it was Gadd at the time, but I have a very clear memory of hearing Paul Simon's 50 Ways. It was years before I knew who the drummer on that track was, and even longer before I understood the true significance of the groove.

The first time I saw Gadd play live was in a small room at the Eastman School of Music. Gadd lives in Rochester and he and John Beck are good friends, so he comes in and does a clinic at least once a year. Seeing him play from about 7 feet away was really a life changing experience. Since then I've seen him a few more times in clinics and at the American Drummer Achievement Awards in Boston, but I've never seen him play a full length concert (except on video).

So, is it worth a six and a half hour drive to Nashville to see him play?
Six and a half hours is a bargain!
I will, of course, post a full length report upon my return.


In other news, I am still working on finishing my percussion quartet (which is becoming more of a marimba solo with percussion trio). I plan to have it finished by August 17th. Why? Because my tenth anniversary is August 18th. I want to be done before then so I don't have it running through my brain anymore. Since Liana and I got married close the anniversary of our first date, it is not only our tenth wedding anniversary, but also our seventeenth year together.

By the way, the 10th anniversary is the "aluminum" anniversary. Anyone have any gift ideas?

And, while things are generally good, I am a little depressed. It seems my name was left off the list AGAIN!

No comments: