Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Office/Fog of War/My Architect

I just finished watching two episodes of The Office (BBC version), the last half of The Fog of War, and the entire My Architect. All amazing pieces of work. Watching The Office makes me uncomfortable. Its ability to make the uncomfortable so funny is where the genius lies. The Fog of War made me uncomfortable becuase it shows that even the brightest most intelligent people continue to make the same mistakes that have been made so many times before. It seems that the saying that those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it isn't completely true. It seems that those who know history will repeat it anyway. There is a recording in the movie where President Johnson says to Robert McNamara "My answer is yes...but my judgement is no." He was talking about sending massive numbers of troops to Vietnam.

My Architect, on the other hand, offers great comfort. It is a documentary full of uncomfortable people who are brought together to find answers, heal their wounds and to show us all the incredible things that human beings are capable of. One of the most inspirational movies I have ever seen.

I promise to finally get around to the road trip to Tulsa and the Lee/Folds/Wainwright concert tomorrow. There will be full color pictures of show, so don't miss it.

No comments: