Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Star Wars (sort of)

I read a review for this one man star wars trilogy in the New York Times. Not the most flattering review, but the thing that really bothered me was that the reviewer decided to try his hand at comedy.

For example
"After curtain call Mr. Ross tells his audience - composed largely of very intense-looking overgrown boys wearing Coke-bottle glasses and Darth Vader jerseys - to follow their dreams. I suspect their mothers might disagree."

Cheap shots. It's just not funny on so many levels, and...it makes me think that he may be lying. The word "largely" means "most". I doubt that "most" of the people in the audience were wearing coke bottle glasses and Darth Vader jerseys. "Overgrown boys" is probably a nice way of saying "fat". And, come on...don't tell me that the mothers want to crush the dreams of their overweight, fashion-challenged, legally blind sons. I'll bet that they just want them to be happy.

Despite his constant need to belittle something he doesn't understand, I can't disgree with his review completely. I watched the video on the website, and while I thought the actual delivery of the dialogue was funny, other things need some work. His imitations of the musical score are quite weak in comparison to his dialogue delivery (tune it up...and don't rush!). I think that lack of attention to detail detracts from the overall effect. And, when he inserts his own words to move the plot ahead, that doesn't work very well either. Could be a timing problem. Timing...is.....everything (or so they tell me)

Still, it's still worth a look. Head on over to the website and click on the video link.

Here's the website link again

No comments: