Saturday, February 11, 2006

War on Grease

I just saw this the the NYT. I always appreciate it when someone protests without ever seeing, reading or hearing what they have decided they are against.

In Small Town, 'Grease' Ignites a Culture War - New York Times: "One letter, from someone who had not seen the show but only heard about it, criticized 'immoral behavior veiled behind the excuse of acting out a play.'

Dr. Enderle watched a video of the play, ultimately agreeing that 'Grease' was unsuitable for the high school, despite his having approved it beforehand, without looking at the script. Hoping to avoid similar complaints in the future, he decided to ban the scheduled spring play, 'The Crucible' by Arthur Miller.

He called 'The Crucible' 'a fine play,' but said he dropped it to keep the school from being 'mired in controversy' all spring."

'That was me in my worst Joe McCarthy moment, to some,' Dr. Enderle said.

Mark Miller, a 26-year-old graduate student, said he was moved to complain after getting an e-mail message about the show from Terra Guittar, a member of his church. Her description of the pajama party scene offended him, he wrote, adding that one character should have worn a more modest nightgown. Mr. Miller did not see the play.
-------------------------

OK, here's the deal...I saw Grease when I was 8 years old, and then I saw it again and again. I loved it! I had the soundtrack album and listened to it A LOT for a loooong time. And Olivia Newton John helped me understand why girls were not as icky as I had thought. Despite these things I have NEVER smoked a cigarette, NEVER had an alcoholic drink (I did take some Nyquil once), NEVER danced my way through a high school carnival, NEVER drag raced anyone, etc... And, let's not forget the important "stay in school, kids!" message of Beauty School Dropout.

Please remember...if kids do bad things, Grease isn't the reason. And, for goodness sake, neither is The Crucible.

No comments: