Saturday, September 22, 2007

"it absolutely reeks of cow pies"

Here's a nice article about Edvard Grieg. It always seems strange to celebrate the anniversary of someone's death, but musicians just can't get enough of it.

I'm glad to see that Greig felt the same way about "In the Hall of the Mountain King" as I do....“something that I literally can’t stand to listen to because it absolutely reeks of cow pies, ultra-Norwegian-ness and trollish self-sufficiency.”

I think I would've liked that guy.

Here's the link.
Grieg Centenary - Music - New York Times

Also, the New York Times has called an end to the horrible idea known as "Times Select". Now NYT articles will not disappear into a pay site after a few days. Hooray!!!!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Sadness. I thought it was pretty sweet as an eighth grade bassoonist.

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

I have to learn how to avoid the "deleting comment" thing.

I was going to write the following...that adjudicating many a marching band contest has numbed me to Grieg in most forms. I still enjoy the Arabian Dance in Peer Gynt, however. JP