Tuesday, September 25, 2007

King of Kong

I have not seen this movie. I will see this movie. I must see this movie!

King of Kong
was recommended to me by my most trusted source. It is an independent film, so it may come and go from town to town rather quickly. If this movie is playing in your town, you should probably go see it tomorrow. If not, search for King of Kong on YouTube and watch a few clips. You will be amazed. Of course, maybe you should start with the trailer. Appropriately enough, the trailer prominently features "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (see last post).

Donkey Kong really is one of the all time greats. Back in my younger days I would spend a lot time at the arcade playing this game. A gas station near my house also had a machine. Were those quarters well spent? Some would say no, but I like to think I was forming neural pathways and developing my hand-eye coordination. The residual skills from jumping barrels and avoiding springs now allow me to play the marimba with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

I was pretty good, but not like these guys. These guys are absolutely crazy.

"What happens when a loser who needs to win faces a winner who refuses to lose?"

I've got to see this movie!

Edit: I had to get rid of the first clip I posted. I started automatically when the page loaded. I really hate that. Here's a different one that gives a nice overview of the game and some of the guys who are obsessed with it.

No comments: