Sunday, May 22, 2005

Georgia

Still in Georgia. Whenever I return to the ancestral homeland it is always hectic. So many family members and friends to see and a limited time to do it. I have been here five days and have been in Oakwood, Atlanta, Snellville, Stockbridge and Suwannee. Tomorrow its out to Social Circle to see my dad. I am looking forward to this weekend when I will set up base camp at Myron's for a few days. He live very close to Piedmont Park where the Atlanta Jazz Festival will be held. It's an easy walk to the park for his front door. The Tito Puente Jr. Orchestra will be there as well as Sonny Emory with his group, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Andy Bey.

Last night I went out to see my fried Curt. We've known each other since 1987 when we both marched in the Spirit of Atlanta together. Myron, who I've also known since 1987, and Liana, who I've known since 1988, went out as well. We saw Star Wars (again!). It's better the second time. The greatest part of the evening was just sitting around talking with Curt. He is one of the great storytellers of all time. It's not the subject matter that's important with Curt, it's how he tells it. For those of you in the marimba business, you could learn a thing or two about the ideas behind See Ya Thursday from him.

Curt had the Steve Gadd American Drummer Acheivement Award DVD. I was at the event in Boston and it was incredible, but I've been putting off buying the DVD due to its $50 price tag. After seeing it I can tell you that I will be buying it as soon as possible and it will be the best $50 I've ever spent. The concert itself is good enough (although it is disappointing that the 50 Ways duet between Gadd and Paul Simon is nowhere to be found on the disc), but the bonus disc is also incredible. Plenty of interviews with Clapton, Corea, etc. and rare footage of Gadd back in the day. I can't wait to watch it over and over.

I spent a large part of today trying to find free Wi-Fi access. I went to Borders books, but they want you to pay $6 an hour or $30 to $40 bucks a month for the T-mobile wi-fi. Ditto at Starbucks. McDonalds wants your money, too. It's even more expensive. But it turns out that, surprisingly enough, all Krystal's have free wi-fi. Not the best hang out for a vegetarian, so I did a little more research and found a Panera Bread close by that has free wi-fi. So, here I am. The furniture is comfortable, the atmosphere is nice (although the "smooth jazz" is getting on my nerves) and the bagels are quite tasty. It's summer in Atlanta but the air conditioning here is cranked and I am keeping myself warm by the double-sided fireplace. Only in America.

More later,
Blake

No comments: